Pages

Thursday, June 3, 2021

Ferrymead Trip

 Ferrymead Trip

Things I learnt:
  1. Ladies first.
  2. Take care of your shoes because they were made of fabric.
  3. Children are seen not heard.
  4. To greet each other the men will take of their hats and say good. day ma'am and the woman would smile and nod their head.
  5. Candles were made of animal fat.
  6. Woman would wear a coloured dress with an apron over top, they would also wear a bonnet.
  7. Men would wear a grey or blue top and pants, they would also wear a cap of the same colour.
  8. Woman would do most chores.
  9. They would have to make their toys.
  10. When going on the boat to new zealand they would have to pack a bag they would need on the trip and one that they would not need until they reach new zealand.
  11. To heat up an iron they would put it over a fire.
  12. How to do the chores at the V hut like planting, putting flax on the roof, cutting wood, ironing, washing cloths and scrubbing the deck.
 
 
On the 16th of may we went to ferrymead because we were learning all about history and first settlers in christchurch. 

Once we arrived we all got dressed into old fashioned clothing, the girls had to wear a deep coloured long dress there were 3 colours, deep blue, deep green and magenta then over top we had to put on a white apron, once that was buttoned up we put on a hat it was called a bonnet. 

After we were dressed we went into 4 rotations they were  crafts, immigration, packing the trunk and V shaped hut. 

First I did Pioneer crafts, you could do knitting, candle making, french knitting, flip toys and rope making, I did knitting flip toys and rope making My favourite craft was flip toys. 

The next rotation I did was packing the trunk, packing the trunk is when you have to pack 2 trunks to travel to a different country one is things you need on the ship and the other is things you do not need, it was pretty fun.

After that I did immigration we each chose an object from the olden days and tried to guess what our job was, after that we had to try guess if we had an important job or not (mine was not) after we did that we got a sheet we could chose a name from back in the day my new name was Mary-ann, lastly we got a ticket saying if we could go or not there were only 3 people who could go and I was one of them.

The last chore we did the V hut, that was when we had to do chores that people used to have to do there were lots of options the ones I did were, sawing wood for the fire, polishing silverware, planting seeds, sweeping the floor and putting flax on the roof my favorite chore was planting the seeds.


After that we ate lunch, then we could go anywhere around the area but we had to stay with an adult. I went to the jail and the school, at the school we got taught how it will be like in the old days for example everyone had to stay silent or they would be yelled at

At 2:00 we all got in the bus and went back to school, 
I would rate this trip a 10/10


          




1 comment:

  1. Hi Lexie
    I really like your ferrymead advencher it reminds me of the time I went to ferrymead with my class. I would however like to know what comes after the the up tword the end. I really loved your description and what you wrote I Really enjoyed the jail,school to. Also some of your word sentences did not have an end.

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post.